Thursday, October 21, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

I have so many ideas, tips, and hints for Thrifty Thursday that it is hard to organize them into something readable!

Today, though, I think we will focus on cleaners, homemade and otherwise.  Oftentimes, homemade is far cheaper than store-bought, because you probably already have it all on hand!  In addition, there are far less chemicals that can potentially make you, and your family, sick.  Of course, they have come out with many new "earth-friendly" and far safer cleaners, but guess what!?  You are going to pay a higher price for these! 



BASICS
Before you being making cleaners, there are a few supplies you are going to need:

Spray Bottles - you can usually find them at dollar type stores, or re-use the empty store-bought cleaner spray bottles.  NOTE:  If you re-use these containers, they MUST be rinsed VERY well!!!!
Palmolive Dish Soap - Get the original formula, and a big bottle!
Vinegar
Borax-naturally occurring!
Washing Soda-naturally occurring!
Ammonia
Rubbing Alcohol

Let's start with Kitchen Cleaning aids!
DishesFirst, I don't really prefer to use the dishwasher.  I feel like it uses too much water, and too much energy.  In my opinion, I get my dishes cleaner in a fraction of the time when I hand wash, plus I have "child-labor" to help me dry and put away!  However.....there are days when I am just so blooming tired I couldn't give a rats you-know-what about efficiency or cost, and I run the dishwasher.  There is absolutely ZERO need to spend all kinds of money on super expensive, earth friendly cleaner when you can make your own. 

Dish washing Detergent
1 C. Borax
1 C. Washing Soda
Mix well and store in an air-tight container.  I use an old Mason Jar.  Use 2 T. per load
I bet you can guess I am going to tell you not to use store-bought rinse aid, too!  Rinse aid is as easy as pouring vinegar into the rinse aid section of your machine.  Easy-peasy. 

Counters
I don't like using spray cleaners like 409 and such on my counters.  They smell like chemical, and my son can reach up and try to play in it.  I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and take my word for it, her counters are clean.

All Purpose Cleaner
2T. Ammonia
1t. liquid dish soap
2C. rubbing Alcohol
2 qts. water
a few drops essential oil (optional)

Mix all together and shake well.  Spray on counters and wipe clean.  Doesn't take much at all!

Floors
I. Hate. Floors.  When they come out with an automatic mopper, I don't care if I have to sell a child to buy one!  I don't use things like Swiffers with the removable and disposable pads.  Each time one is thrown away, money is thrown away and more trash piles up in landfills.  Instead, my mom got me this cool little mop that has a removable terry cloth head!  It just slips right on.  (To be perfectly honest, if you have a swiffer, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make a few terry cloths heads for that, too.)  I put the cleaner in a bucket, and soak the cloth.  Rinse in the kitchen sink, not the bucket, or your cleaner will be nasty.

Floor Cleaner
1C Vinegar
1 Gallon Water
The mopping part is harder than making the cleaner!


CARPETS

Carpets are easy to keep fresh by sprinkling baking soda on them, and allowing it to sit for 5-10 minutes before vacuuming.

EVERYONE'S FAVORITE....BATHROOMS
Dear Baking Soda,
     I LOVE YOU!

Sprinkle baking soda, or Borax, on a slightly wet tub, and allow to sit for a few minutes.  I like to drink a few gin and tonics while I wait.  Its a good excuse.  If you aren't too tipsy from waiting (Sometimes I get carried away and wait a little too long, but that is another story.), scrub the tub with a cloth and rinse.

shameless promotion, time....
For some super awesome dish cloths that can be used for just about anything, click on over to my web page for some handknit dishcloths! http://hyenacart.com/13plumknittedconfessions.com


Baking soda and borax both work equally well on toilets.  Again, allow to sit for a good 30 minutes.  Might as well make yourself another drink!  Scrub as usual and flush! 

Use the All-purpose cleaner on the countertops.

WINDOWS
I don't do windows, but if I did, It would be as easy as:
1/2 t. liquid dish detergent
3 T. Vinegar
2 C. Water
Spray on, wipe of and viola!  Clean, shiny windows.  Until the little hands wake up.  THAT is why I don't do windows. 

These are a few of the homemade cleaning recipes I use on a daily basis.  I will surely be adding more as Thrifty Thursday continues.

How about you?  Do you have cleaning recipes that you use?  How do you save money on cleaning supplies?  I would love to hear!

1 comment:

  1. Last week I was a bit scared for you. I was like, You shared too many hints--there won't be anything left for more Thrifty Thursdays! but I was wrong. I am looooving Thrifty Thursdays

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!