Friday, January 4, 2013

Land of the Free from Water Bottles

So I am taking one of my 15 minute breaks from household duties and kids (yes.  I actually do that.  I make them go play for 15 minutes so I can gather myself back up!), and I read this story that comes across my Facebook feed: Massachusetts Town Bans Water Bottles.

You just can't make these things up, friends.

I understand their heart behind it, really, I do.  In fact, I am one of those people who despises using something disposable when there is a better quality reusable option.  I use refillable water bottles.  I used cloth diapers on my son.  I reuse things to the point that my family think I am crazy.  Barb Wire Man uses plastic water bottles, though.  He drives a truck, and can't just pull over his big rig and fill up his water bottle.  Instead, he stocks his refrigerator with water bottles to keep from having to stop at a store.  (Although, at this point, do they even allow semi trucks in the north east!?  Just kidding!)

Let's weigh the pro's and con's of this silly bill:

Pro                                                                       
Less waste in landfills                                            
Less plastic usage
Con
Less business for convenience stores and grocery stores.
"Sorry kids.  We are on this road trip, and our options are fake fruit juices, sugar-laden cokes, or bathroom water in our reusable containers."

Less business for grocery stores.
Yeah, so I stock up on gallons of water, you never know what might happen!

Police must now start looking for people who violate traffic laws, thieves, drugs, criminals, and those pesky water bottle carriers.


I'll stop now.  I think you get the picture.  But really?!  Do we need our governments, be they simply city or national, telling us now that we can't even buy a bottle of water at a convenience store?!  Ridiculous.  They do say that in case of an emergency, the sell of plastic water bottles is allowed.  Well thank the Lord.  When an emergency hits, everyone in town can rush to the store at the same time and pray on the way that the store isn't sold out of water before they get there.  

Should we laugh at this, or should we be worried?  Seriously....I am asking.  Have we gone so far into the abyss that now we are allowing people to tell us what we can and cannot purchase food wise?

My sweet daughter, Flower, came to me this morning (before I even saw this story), and said "Mama, is 'America, land of the free and home of the brave' a factual statement, or is that an opinion?"

I'm sad that she even had to ask.  It was always drilled into me that America was indeed the land of the free, and the home of the brave.  Are we slowly becoming America, land of the free in theory and home of the pansies who can't/won't make decisions for themselves, or protect themselves anymore?

I don't know.  And that was my response to Flower.  "I don't know anymore, babe.  I really don't know."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!