Thursday, April 26, 2012

Running....

I do believe I may have lost my mind.  I've already been told that my daycare runnin', healthy eating, knitting, gardening, writing, self is crazy many times.  Its true.  But now, I have decided to start running.

Now, in years past, I've said exercise is against my religion.  I just never understood why anyone would want to hurt themselves.  I've been blessed with a great body, I eat healthy, and chasing all these kids everyday is a workout in itself.

But, here lately, I've been wondering if I can do it.  Can I push myself?  Can I make my good body a jaw dropping body?  Can I brag about being able to do something I never thought I would?   I have some friends who went from not doing any type of exercise at all to running races, and if they can do it, so can I.

Barb Wire Man will probably think I have completely gone off the deep end, but, he already knows that is how I roll.  So, here is it:

I want to run a race.  I don't even care if I come in last place, I just want to come in.  And this isn't going to be a race run on a track...oh no.  It's called the Palo Duro Hot Dog 15K.  It is run in the Palo Duro Canyon, where it isn't flat.  It is run in July in the Texas Panhandle, where even hell might be argued to have cooler weather.  But I'm going to do it.  I may have to crawl over the finish line, but I will at least get over the finish line.  There will be people there who already have their bets set against me...that makes it even better.

Flower's step-mom started this race 5 years ago, and to be completely honest, I remember thinking what a crazy idea it was to put yourself through something like that.  Now, she is the one telling me that I can do this.  In fact, of all the people I know, the only person who hasn't looked at me strangely, or made a comment about me being crazy is she.  She has been giving me pointers on starting to run, and encouraging me.

Today I completed Day one of the Couch to 5K program.  Our mornings here are crazy with people coming and going.  Our evenings are pack with the same things, and before I know it, it is dark outside.  I don't like going running or walking alone here, because frankly I don't feel safe, so I've been using that as an excuse not to get out.  Today, when all the littles were down for nap, I just started running in the back yard.  I guess it is better than nothing!  With day one, I walked briskly for 5 minutes, than alternated jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds, for a total of 20 minutes.  I was actually surprised when my timer went off, because it didn't feel like I had been out there that long.  I was running in the heat of the day, but, I might as well prepare myself for it, right?

I really did feel great after that run.  I felt even better after I took a shower.  I still feel great an hour after, but I do feel a bit of soreness coming on.  I'll be back at it tomorrow, and plan on reporting back!  Cheer me on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!