Friday, March 2, 2012

Celebrating Texas Independence Day!

HAPPY TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY, my friends!

Yes, many of us actually do consider this a national holiday.  National, you ask?  Yep.  Because many of us who celebrate Texas Independence day still want Texas to be fully independent.

176 years ago on this date, Texas adopted their Declaration of Independence from Mexico, and officially became the Republic of Texas.  Fifty-nine men signed the declaration at Washington-on-the-Brazos, in a blacksmith shed (more on that, later!)

On my Daddy's side of the family, I am a 6th generation Texan.  On my Mama's side, I'm a 9th.  When asked about their heritage, most people will proudly claim "I'm German", "I'm Irish", or, in Barb Wire Man's case, "I'm Norwegian."  They are very proud of that heritage.  When asked mine, I proudly answer "Texan!"  Many of my distant family members were in Texas before some families even came to America.  I'm proud that my family members had much to do with making us the great state that we are.  While we haven't been able to hard confirm it, the little blacksmith shop where the declaration was signed was most likely owned by a member of my family.  I have family who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, and the Battle of Bexar.  One ancestor was one of the first Texas Rangers!  We have documents and letters signed by Sam Houston that were given to our family, thanking them for their service to our great state (Republic at the time).

Texas is to me, a state of mind.  A way of life.  A heritage I am proud of.

As John Steinbeck said "I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that.  It is a mystique closely approximating a religion."  Indeed, that is the truth!
"Honor the Texas Flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one stat under God, one and indivisible."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!