Monday, September 27, 2010

Memory Monday

Today has been one of the most hectic Mondays I have had in a long time.  In between ironing over 3 dozen pieces of clothes, cleaning poop of my refrigerator (don't even ask!), and everything else that goes along with raising babies, I have finally found time to sit down and write!  I haven't had the chance to take any pictures today, so I thought I would find an old one that is special to me, and reminisce a little.  I think I may make this a regular Monday thing!

This is my 7 year old daughter, Mattie.  At the first of the year she expressed an interest in learning to knit, so I found her a pair of needles, some yarn, and we got to work!  It took a long time for her brain to tell her fingers what to do!  Boy, she understood the concept right off the bat!  But making those fingers work while holding a strand of yarn plus TWO needles!?  Now that is another story!  She worked so hard on that little piece.  I started off with 10 stitches on the needle, and knit the first 3 rows to get it established for her.  Somehow, we ended up with 2 extra stitches!  It was as you would expect....pretty sloppy, very loose, and lots of wrong stitches, but look at her face!  She was so proud of herself.  I don't think I have ever seen her so proud of something in my life.  We ended the piece, and I put it away in the special box I have of keepsakes.  One of these days, when Mattie's daughter wants to learn, she can pull this little piece out, and remember that special time I spent with her.

Every knitter remembers the first time they knit.  They remember who taught them, and where they were, and likely still have the first piece they knit.  I would venture to guess that whether its knitting, sewing, painting, singing or whatever your cup of tea is, you remember the first time.  You look forward to passing it down to someone who will remember, too! 

My mother taught me to knit, just as I taught my daughter.  I remember where we were sitting.  I remember the color of the yarn.  I remember what I was making.  I remember the perfume my mom was wearing.

I suspect its not the activity we so much enjoy.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say its the simple fact that someone spent some time with us, and lovingly showed us a treasure they held.  They gave us a little piece of their heart when they showed us the talent. 

I want to see that look in my daughter's eyes more often.  Never under-estimate your talents, or abilities.  Never assume its to small or insignificant.  It just might make the difference that someone else needs in their life as well!

1 comment:

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!