Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankfulness

This is the time of year we everyone is bombarded with reminders to be thankful.  For some reason this year, it is incredibly annoying me to!  Don't get me wrong...being reminded to be thankful isn't what is annoying.  It is the fact that in general, we have to be reminded to stop for one single day out of the year to be thankful!  What about the other 364 days of the year!?


1 Thessalonians 5:18 "In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."


By nature, I am a very thankful person.  Everyday, I notice something that I am so grateful for.  God has blessed me abundantly, and far beyond anything I deserve.  Then again, what do I deserve?  What does any sinful human being deserve?  Not one thing other than death.  God doesn't owe you or me one single bloomin' thing!  But, because of His son, he graciously pours our blessing after blessing to each of His children.  Personally, I believe that is where all our thanks should begin.


I've been walking around this morning doing my usual household duties thinking of all the obscure things I am thankful for.  I've been making a mental note, and thought I would jot a few of those things down today.


I'm thankful that I woke up this morning with a song in my heart-
"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!  Oh my soul praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!  All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near; Praise Him with glad adoration!"


I'm thankful for modern medicine, because my son's fever has broken, and the infection is leaving his body.


I'm thankful that, even though this is the first day of Thanksgiving break, Flower was up at 6:30.  When I asked her why she said "Because.  My Mama and Brother are awake, and I just wanted to see their faces!"


I'm thankful for the two beautiful children who call me Mama, and think I am the most amazing person in the world.  They overlook every fault I have.


I'm thankful that 6 years ago Saturday I made a covenant to love, honor, and obey my best friend, and that every day our love for each other is stronger than the previous day.


I'm thankful that my man has a great job.  


I'm thankful that, not only do we not have to worry about where our next meal will come from, but that our pantry has enough food to last us for a several months.  I'm thankful my children have no idea what is is to really be hungry.


I'm thankful for indoor plumbing, because I can't function well without a hot shower!


I'm thankful for my parents, and for the things they taught me.


I'm thankful for in-laws who have loved and accepted Flower and I since the first time they met us, and for the great relationship I have with them.


I'm thankful that as I wrote this, Flower and Little Man are sitting on the couch, snuggling, and just talking to each other.


I'm thankful for programmable coffee makers, and that I have liquid energy waiting for me from the second I wake up.


I'm thankful for the faith of my family.


I'm thankful for knitting needles, yarn, hot tea, and Gone With the Wind.


God has truly blessed me beyond measure.  If I continued to list everything I'm grateful for, this post would be an eternity long.





1 comment:

  1. Loved your post. Yes, be thankful everyday!

    Yesterday as I used manicure scissors and tweezers, I thought Thank you God for these. Now I had never thought to thank God for them before but yesterday, it occurred to me that I should!




    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!