Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Winter is FINALLY coming!

You know, the really cool things about Texas is that the weather is so crazy.  It changes by the hour, not the day. Today it was a relatively nice 50-some odd degrees.  Very nice, but too cool for me.  I'm the only person I know who could wear a wool sweater in August and be comfortable.  By tomorrow night, though, the temps are supposed to plummet, and we are looking at snow and freezing rain.  Frankly, as long as it is wet and hits the ground, no one around here cares.


One of the things I love the most about winter, though, are the meals.  Stew is my most favorite cold weather meal.  Last night I made my Shut Up And Eat It Stew.  Its my favorite, because it seems that no matter what I do, it always tastes the same.  I save leftovers, wrap them up real good, and freeze them.  Once I have enough, I throw it all into a pot, cover it with water, and let it stew all day.  The meal didn't cost an extra penny, because it was all leftovers!  The best part, is that this go-round it made so stinkin' much that I have enough stew for lunch tomorrow (and probably another whole meal if my family wouldn't go on stew-strike).  I also made some of my Granny's bread pudding to go along with it (which, by the way, since I cube and cut up bread that isn't bad, but isn't good either and freeze it, didn't cost anything, either!).  It doesn't matter how hard I try, that pudding never comes out as good as Granny's.  I think I'd like her to come live with me...just to make bread pudding!  Tomorrow, I'm making some homemade bread!


I also love the smells of winter.  The fireplaces burning....mmm! Me, little Mrs. Can't Get Warm, literally will pull my chair up in front of the fireplace, no more than 2 feet away.  And drink hot tea.  And knit.  And my hands are usually still just as cold as ice.


What are your favorite things about winter?


Before I go, let me share a few of the awesome new Etsy stores I discovered while wasting time  shopping   researching for this blog last night.


Like A Lamb
I know not everyone shares in my skirt conviction, and that is fine, but a lot of my readers do.  Personally, I wear long skirts almost every single day, partly because I think they are more comfortable than pants, and partly because I like the modesty and femininity of them.  I love how these skirts are named!  I looked at every single skirt they offer, and with each one thought "What a clever concept...wow!"  (And she is being kind enough to make me one in my size...which is little and hard to come by!)

Super Gift
I came across this tobacco pipe as I was searching for a gift for my Daddy.  He smokes a pipe, and the smell always makes me think of him.  This shop has some really beautiful and interesting pipes!  I will say, however, that you might be surprised (or maybe you won't!) at what pops up when you search for "pipe".  I'll just say I had to narrow my search to include tobacco pipes.

Iconic Earrings 
I found these while shopping for my sister.  To be quite honest, I don't think I will ever understand her obsession with Leonard Nimoy, but they are only $16.00!  We are totally different, my sister and I, but I love the girl!  I have a suspicion she might like these.

Make sure you stop by Etsy, while doing your Christmas shopping!  Some things might be a little higher than you would spend at Big Chain Store, but they are handmade, and unique!

I do have some orders to fill, so I 'spose I should get off the computer.  Be blessed today!






1 comment:

  1. I have to say, winter is my least favorite season because I stay cold the whole time! But, since I can't escape it, I enjoy hot chocolate with marshmallows, soups stews and casseroles or anything that involves turning on the oven...I tend to bake more. I also enjoy the absence of flies and mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!