Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday Tea Time

Ahhh....tea.  I am serious - hot tea is so therapeutic.  Today, as I was watching one of my new favorite TV shows, it got me to thinking about when I was younger.  I'll tell you about the show later, after I give you some history about me! 

Every kiddo talks about what they want to be when they grow up: a doctor, fireman, teacher...blah blah blah!  That just wasn't going to do it for 7 year old Emily.  Oh no.  From the time I can remember, I only wanted to be two things...a mommy and an archaeologist - more specifically, a Biblical archaeologist.   So there was a time when I wanted to be a buggieologist and specialize in collecting beetles, but that was fleeting.)   I would tell people I wanted to be an archaeologist, and they would look at me like I was crazy.  I know they were thinking "How in the heck does this kid even know what an archaeologist is!?" 

I was so serious about being an archaeologist, my parents got me a subscription to the magazine Biblical Archaeology when I was in the 3rd grade.  For Christmas one year I got a dig kit, where I was able to "excavate" an "ancient" jar, then actually put it back together in all its glory.

Obviously, I chose the former.  I wasn't too old when I realized that being a mommy and an archaeologist at the same time would be quite difficult. 

Had I chosen to go to college, my life would probably be very difference.  I would have sworn off marriage and family, and instead taken myself to the Middle East.  I would have spent the remainder of my life studying ancient Israel, Egypt, on up into the time of the Templars.  I have a friend who is convinced that history and science will one day disprove God.

Not me.  Oh no.  I am 100% convinced that one day history and archaeology will prove that everything in the Bible actually did happen.  However, science will never prove nor disprove God, for the simple fact that God requires faith...not proof.

OK, I will step down off that soap box now.  As my husband says "Oh please, don't get her started!!!!"

 Anyhow, my new favorite TV show (I have very few....I actually hate TV) is called The Naked Archaeologist.  Simcha Jacobovici is the narrator/archaeologist.  He is an Orthodox Jew, so immediately I decided I loved him for that one simple fact.  He makes his show funny, not just the typical history-type show.  He has likewise set out to prove how so many of the Biblical stories can be proven.  He has even set out to prove that the stories of Jesus are true, though he doesn't obviously believe Jesus is Messiah (our similarities end there!). 

The whole time I watch his show, all I can think is "Oh. My. Gosh.  This is a male version of me." 

I want to meet Simcha so bad!  Seriously...if I was male, Jewish, and an archaeologist, I would be him.

Instead, I am a tough broad from the Texas Panhandle, devoutly Christian, and a mommy.

One of these days, though, I will live out this dream of mine.  Until then, I will just keep watching my new show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!