Next to my God and my children, my biggest source is pride is that I am a 9th generation Texan. My children are 10th! It isn't just where I'm from...it is who I am. My great-great-great-great grandfather and beyond helped fight to make Texas Independent, so keeping the spirit and independence of Texas alive isn't just something I want to do. It is something must do! This blog is dedicated to my sweet friend, Lil Miss Texan, who is stuck in yankeeland....
How to Tell if You are From Texas
1. You know apricot has a long "a", pecan has no long vowels, and you don't even have to think about how to say the word Gruene.
2. You eat only two types of ice cream: homemade and Blue Bell.
3. You know that the only thing more important than football on Friday night is church on Sunday morning.
4. You know to ask someone what specific brand of coke they want. "You want a Coke?" "Sure." What kind?" "Dr. Pepper."
5. In one day, you wore a sweater in the morning and ended the day wearing a tank top.
6. Only three colleges matter...A&M, Tech, and UT. And two of them suck.
7. Most of the country complains about 100+ degree days as a heat wave, but that is every summer day for you.
8. You know exactly what to do anytime someone says "the stars at night...."
9. There's only one drink better than sweet tea on a hot day. Beer.
10. When people ask what your family heritage is and the only answer you have is "Texan".
11. Your man's idea of dressing nice is starching his pants and shirt and wearing "his good boots".
12. Your first tattoo automatically must have a Texas flag on it.
13. You can drive through three states in any direction in less time than you can drive from Amarillo to Houston.
14. You assume everyone carries a gun, and feel a little sad for them if they don't own one.
15. You know real country music isn't sung by men in Hawaiin print shirts, flip flops and khaki shorts, but by men like Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, and Kevin Fowler. And you cried the day Stevie Ray Vaughn died.
16. 20 mile per hour winds is just a breeze.
17. You know Texas is still attached to the mainland only because Oklahoma sucks.
18. You'd sooner fly the Texas flag than the American flag.
19. You know exactly what this is a picture of, without thinking:
21. The smell of cow manure and crude make you think of money.
22. You would drive back to Texas to have your children, just so they can say they are TENTH generation!
23. You know why Six Flags is called Six Flags.
24. Your children recite the Texas Pledge every morning before the American Pledge.
25. You thought these were all funny, and nodded your head in agreement!
And, I'm certain that some of you don't get these. Bless you hearts. And some of you might even be offended by them, because you aren't from 'round these parts. That's ok. In the words of Davy Crockett:
"You may all go to hell. I will go to Texas."
***All photos from "You Know You're a Texan When..."