Friday, July 27, 2012

Every Song a Memory

This morning as I was cleaning and preparing for the day, I had my cell phone ringing out my play list.  It got my brain running (which frankly, only music and coffee will do first thing in the morning!)  I thought I'd share some of those with you this morning, and the thoughts and memories that accompany them.  Warning...my musical preferences have an enormous range of styles!

The first song that cam on was an accapella version of Great is Thy Faithfulness.  I thought it was a nice coincidence (thought I don't really believe in them) that the first song I heard reminded me that "morning by morning new mercies I see."  That was a great bit of worship to start my day off!

Oh my.  See?  Maybe I shouldn't have done this.  You'll see the dirty music secrets no one knows about me.  Song number two: Stryper's Honestly.  But seriously, doesn't everyone love 80's love ballads?!  The best memory I have of this song happened not long after Barb Wire Man and I started dating each other.  He comically lip-synced the entire song to me...complete with motions.  I am pretty sure I laughed so hard I cried.

Song number three: God's Not Dead by the Newsboys.  Flower and I love when this song comes on in the radio, because we turn it up loud, and sing it out as loud as we can!  This song always gets me energized, and is one of my favorite songs to run to.  And I get goosebumps every time I hear it!

Mmmmhmmm.  Another side of me many people don't see.  Song number 4, I Stand Alone by Godsmack.  This is more of my running music, and one of the few songs that has absolutely no lyrical meaning to me.  No memories...its simply a song that has a good beat to run to!

I Walk the Line, by the great Johnny Cash.  I mean, what kind of Texan would I be if I didn't listen to Johnny Cash.

Song 6....Keep on Loving You, REO Speedwagon.  You know why I like this song so much, other than the fact that I really like REO Speedwagon?  Its fun to sing to.  Perfectly in my range.  And that is why I like this song.  I can sing to it and sound amazing.


Leader of the Band, by Dan Fogelberg, is a song I grew up hearing.  I love to sing to it (really, that is the most important thing, after all), but mostly, it reminds me of my Daddy.  Almost every word of this song makes me think of him.  No one writes songs like this anymore.  No one can sit with a guitar and sing and sound like heaven like this anymore.  It is one of my dad's favorites, and will always be one of mine.
Song numero 8 is by Firehouse.  Love of a Lifetime.  Yes, more 80's love ballads, but as sappy as it sounds, it so applies to Barb Wire Man and me.

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, by Mumford and Sons came on next.  One of my all time favorite hymns, by far.  I really hate when a hymn comes on, I start belting it out, and the singer messes it up.  And by messing it up I mean making their own rendition and not following the way it was written!  Mumford and Sons did an excellent job keeping it as it should be!

Metallica.  Because Nothing Else Matters.


Good grief.  How do I go from Metallica to Tammy Wynette?  I guess I'm just a Stand By Your Man kinda girl!

And then, the Little Man woke up and said he had to watch Dinosaur Train.  So my music time was over.  What are the top 10 songs on your playlist?

One last thing!!  Our Smiling Green Apples giveaway ends at 5AM (Central Time) on Monday, so make certain you get your entries in today!  You don't want to miss these!
Credit: Smiling Green Apples


You better head over and sign up! Be blessed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!