Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesday Translations

The hubs had to be at work early this morning, and I hate him having to leave a dark quiet house, so up I was with him at 4:30.  Actually, I was up at 4:00. because my sweet sweet son woke up.  He has this amazing knack for waking up exactly 30 minutes before my alarm goes off.  I think it is God's way of preparing me for the screaming buzz of my alarm.  I'd much rather wake up to my kids' voices than an alarm anyhow.  Waking up that early translates in to getting a lot accomplished.  By 5AM, I had showered, gotten 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, the living room and kitchen cleaned, as well as 2 loads of laundry and my quiet time!

Having nothing left I must get done, that leaves me tons of time to do things I want to do.  Yeah right...who am I kidding?  I'm going to have a house filled with 3 boys under two in an hour and a half.


Anyhow, I was reading in Genesis this morning.  I've read it a million times, but coupled with my renewed goal of studying Hebrew, I thought I would try to read it in a new light.  A little deeper, researching the original Hebrew meanings.  My only problem is, at this rate, I will be 80 before I get through the Torah (the first 5 books of the Old Testament)!  But, I thought I would share what I learned this morning....I can keep myself accountable that way!

I managed to make it through Genesis 1:1.  One whole verse, people.  Not even a whole chapter....one stinkin' verse.  Genesis 1:1 transliterated is:

Bereshit bara Elohim et hashamayim ve'et ha'arets.


It was the very first thing I ever learned in Hebrew, and by the time I finished saying "Elohim" for the first time I was hooked.  Hebrew is quite a complicated language.  One verb can have several implications (not meanings as some think).  Elohim is a noun which is plural, but the verb form is singular.  In this usage, it implies not number, but intensity, majesty or intensity.  It is a name for God.  So, while reading this, its like saying "In the beginning, God (the Majesty, intensely) created....." He didn't just create...in all His majesty He intensely created!!  


And then I got pulled in another direction, not even halfway through the first verse!

Bara is the word for create here.  This word is only used in describing divine activity, and is never, ever used to describe human activity.

"In the beginning, God created the heaven and earth."  Thank you, but I will choose:
In the beginning, Elohim, the Majesty, intensely and divinely created the heaven and the earth."


What a great way to start your day...knowing that the Elohim who divinely created the world is the same who controls my every move, protects my family, and has plans for me.  This one verse, the very first verse, of the Torah has reminded me of exactly how blessed I am, how much I love learning about my Lord, and how much more I want to learn Hebrew.

Oh my.  I hear a little voice again.  I guess my productivity has just ended!  Be blessed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!