Friday, September 21, 2012

Dear Makers of Wallpaper, Part 2....



Awhile back, I wrote about my disdain for wall paper and border.  I hate it.  Truly, truly hate wall paper and border.

It started when I  had to remove border from my hallway and entry way.  It took forever, but I finally got it all down, and got the two areas painted.

Now, I'm tackling my kitchen area.  We have lived in this house for 6 years, and it is high time I get it looking like I want it!  Fortunately, it was just border, and the entire walls weren't covered with this hideously ugly paper.  Unfortunately, it was applied directly to the sheet rock.  It tore the sheet rock up pretty bad as I took it off, and no amount of steam, wall paper remover solution, or gentleness would keep it from happening.  Fortunately, I will be texturing the hell out of the walls, so I don't think it is going to be a big problem.  Unfortunately, I still have at least one more room that is covered top to bottom in even uglier, pink flowered wall paper. (Hey, the 80's were great...I am a 80's product, but really, its time to move on...)

Hopefully I will be able to post pictures frequently, and it won't take too long for me to accomplish the look I am going for.  I'm going pretty bold with one part of the wall...I am painting the tiles on the backsplash a bright red!!  A little bold and daring?  Yeah, but that is me!  I will also be painting my cabinets, and replacing the hardware!

I can't wait to see the finished product, and the entire kitchen and dining room pulled together.  And, like always, I'm doing this as inexpensively as possible.  I'm not even buying all the things I need until next weekend, when the store has their 40% off sale!  $40,000 kitchen redo?  Yeah, right.  I hate owing people money, and refuse to take a loan out just to redo a room.  I will keep a running tab of how much it costs!  At this point, I have only spent $5 bucks on joint compound and a spackle knife, and that was spent back in the Spring when I redid the entry way, but I also know I will be needing a new stove, and possibly new counter tops (maybe just laminate?!).

I started tearing off the wall paper before I remembered to take a picture!  See how ugly!?


Border gone, texture up!!  (Sorry about the mess!)
Stay tuned...hopefully I will be able to post lots of updates, and keep it super cheap! How have you inexpensively redecorated your home?

One view of the dining room, which also had border.  Texture is already up!

Dining room entry into the living room.




In summary:
Day 1 accomplishments - border removed, glue sanded off, holes patched
Day 1 cost - $5

Be blessed!!


3 comments:

  1. You think yours is bad, we live in a 12(?) year old trailer house that had to be designed by a guy. Faded navy blue carpet throughout (even my bathroom) with the exception of aweful linoleum floors in my kitchen. The whole thing is wall paper and we have those terrible little wall seam boards. Luckily, I have big plans for my shabby little house. Now I just have to get the cash and the backup to do it... Good luck on the rest of your redo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, this is just one room. I've removed wall paper in the entry room, dining room, kitchen, Little Man's room and next is the bathrooms and our bedrooms. Flower's room is painted dark hunter green on on four walls. The living room is top to bottom paneling, and one wall is 20 feet long! We still have a LONG way to go! It was built in '73, and nothing has been updated til now!

      Delete
  2. I hear ya!! I have removed wallpaper in every room of our house. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!