Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Jesus Loves the Little Children!

A few weekends ago, Barb Wire Man and I packed our bags, loaded up our kiddos, and headed up to Colorado to visit my Aunt and Uncle.
My uncle with my mom.

Uncle, my mom's brother, has always been one of my favorite people.  I used to do a lot of stuff with him when I was the only little one in the family, and I looked up to him so much!  My aunt and I text constantly throughout the day.  We have an awful lot in common, and are always sharing ideas and asking each other questions.  I truly consider her a friend, not just my aunt.  Their children are the same age as mine, and it is just wonderful to see them forming friendships with each other.

These family friendships go back further than just my aunt, uncle and I.  My aunt's mom was actually best friends with my maternal great-grandmother!  Aunt and I really think God must have some pretty big plans for our family, as there are now three generations of great friendships.

Flower, Little Man and me in our hotel room before church.

Anyhow, back to the story. We put everyone in the car, and set off for Colorado.  It was a 5 hour drive, and surprisingly, went really well!  The absolute best part of the whole trip was watching the kids' eyes light up when the mountains began to come into view.  The mountains are, by far, my most favorite place in the world.  I'd love nothing more than to live in a house way up in the mountains, cut off from the rest of the world.  Sounds insane, but really is my dream.  It was such a wonderful time to talk to my children about the beauty of creation.  We talked on and on about what an amazing God we have, who would create such beauty for us to look at.

The entire purpose of our trip was because Aunt and Uncle asked Barb Wire Man and I to be sponsors for my little cousin's baptism!  It was such an honor to be asked!  During the church service, Uncle, Aunt, Barb Wire Man and I recited words committing ourselves to teaching the Little Ones about God.  They were so much more than words to me.

The banner that hung in the front of the church announcing his baptism


The world is going to take every chance they have to teach our children that there is no God; to teach our children that they are the author's of their own destiny.  

As Christians, we have such a huge responsibility to teach our children about the things we believe.  Every moment with our children is a teachable moment.  As we drove into the mountains of Colorado, our family was able to discuss creation.  We were able to discuss how great God is, for providing us with not only a world full of the things we need, but also beauty everywhere we look.  Let's make sure our children know that we serve an amazing, powerful, almighty God.

The whole family!  (Notice my little cousin is still holding her knitting?!)


What are your favorite times to teach your children about God?

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Proverbs 22:6



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!