Monday, July 25, 2011

Rough Weekend!

Sometimes, weekends just don't come together as planned.

Friday morning I woke up to the beginnings of a migraine.  For me, they start with partial loss of vision,and numbness in my hands, arms, and mouth.  For anyone who has experienced this, you know the worst is yet to come; the pain of the headache.  I didn't want to tell Barb Wire Man, because I knew he needed to go to work. Instead, I took some of my "magic red pills" as I call them, which stops the migraine.  It is wonderful that I can stop the pain, but the pills make me incredibly dizzy, and feel like I am drunk.  I hate that feeling, and it is really hard with two kiddos!  But my sweet little Flower is amazing.  She helped me out tremendously, and took care of me.  It makes my heart happy to see how caring and loving she is!  I plan on having a super special mommy/daughter fun day as a way to thank her!

Saturday morning, I was still trying to recover from the migraine.  Mine last a full two days, with the second day feeling like I am severely hung over.  Thankfully, Barb Wire Man was home, so he let me rest as much as I needed.  I accomplished very little on Saturday, planning to do it all on Sunday when I knew I would feel 100%.

Then, my Daddy called.

My "Pa" has been very ill for quite sometime.  He was in his 80's, and we all knew the day he would pass away was fast approaching.  I knew as soon as I saw my Dad's number on the caller ID what he was calling to tell me.  Pa had passed away.  He and my mom, my aunt, and my Granny were all there with him.  Although we all knew it was coming, it doesn't make it any easier to come to grips with.  Flower was really upset.  She didn't know him all that well, but she felt a closeness to him, and loved him a great deal.  I talked with my Granny later in the day, and she gave me the best and simplest explanation I think I have ever heard for death.  She said "Pa walked with Jesus all of his life.  This morning, he and Jesus went for a walk, and Jesus looked at him and saw that he was very tired.  So, instead of walking him back home, he invited Pa to come to His house."  If there is a beautiful way to describe death, I think this is it.

Sunday morning, I woke up to another migraine.  I immediately took my medicine.  Some of my migraines are stressed induce, though I don't feel as though I have been under a great deal of stress.  The majority are food induced.  As a kid, I discovered I couldn't eat oranges.  Later, I added to that list tangerines, and grapefruits, and more recently I added pineapple (all, of course, my favorites).  I think I may have narrowed these two migraines down to potassium sorbate.  It was the only common ingredient in everything I had eaten, and I am very careful to make sure I don't consume something that will cause a migraine.  Being a preservative, its in almost everything, so I hope this isn't it, but we will keep an eye on it.

I should be able to post tomorrow, but there will likely not be a post on Wednesday.  Wednesday is my Pa's funeral, so that day will be spent with my family.  I don't normally ask, but if you would, please keep my family in your prayers.  All will be travelling (I live this closest, and I am still 2 hours away).  And please do keep my Granny in your prayers, also.  While we are sad, we know that Pa loved the Lord, and is in Heaven worshiping  him right now.  We know that he was in pain here on earth, but is now complete and whole again.

I pray everyone has a wonderful and blessed week!

5 comments:

  1. Weekends like this don't always feel the best... Migraines are terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm sure he is up in heaven dancing around and loving the glory of God he's experiencing. I pray that you and your families spirits are flooded with peace and joy during this time.
    Feel better, next weekend will be great :)
    XOXO
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law suffered with migraines but didn't have the wonderful red pills you have! Of course that was 40 years ago, they may not have been invented yet.
    So sorry to hear about your "pa". Your Grandma sounds like an amazing woman - LOVE her explanation!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your Pa. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Migraines run in my family. My daughter gave up on taking any of the meds because she didn't like the side effects. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. :( Your Grandma's explanation was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the sweet comments. Yes, it is a blessing to have those pills now, but like Annette said - sometimes I have to decide if I would rather suffer through the pain, or suffer through the side effects!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!