Thursday, November 4, 2010

Running to the Store on Thrifty Thursday

The stomach bug has hit my family, and in turn, all my daycare kids, with a vengeance this week.  If there is a blessing in that, it is that ite waited to hit me until I was able to nurse my kids and husband back to health!  I am hoping I get this completely written and posted today! 

It did, however, remind me of a great way to loose track of how easy it is to spend way to much at the grocery store. 

It hit my daughter, so, I ran to the store to pick up crackers and Gatorade.  I left with more than that.   Then, I had to run back to the store a few hours later for a can of soup.  The next day, I had to run to the store for a thermometer (My girl dropped ours and it broke!), thermometer covers, anti-nausea medicine, more Gatorade, more soup and more crackers. 

See a pattern here!?

Making multiple trips to the grocery store for a few things here and there is a great way to blow your grocery budget without even realizing it!  Its easy to go for a few things, and leave with a few things more than you intended. 

I am no where near as good as the pro's, who can go to the grocery store loaded with coupons and come out with $200 worth of groceries having only paid a few bucks.  But, I can buy two weeks worth of groceries for my family of 4 for about $180.  And we don't eat lightly....I have been known to make a 9x13 pan full of casserole, give my kids and I one helping, and watch my husband eat every bit that is left!

There are two simple things I do every time I go to the store.  I make a menu, and a list, and I stick to it religiously.

On Fridays, I get out my spiral notebook in which I keep all my menus and lists.  I list out Sunday - Saturday two times, then write out the meals beside them.  I go through each meal and write down everything I need to make them.  Suppose the menu takes flour, and I already have flour.  I write it down anyway.  I may not need flour now, but I might later!

What I like about this approach is that it reminds me of leftovers I might otherwise forget.  Roast on Sunday?  Great!  On Monday, I will not have to buy anything for our meal, because I will use all the leftovers and turn them into Shepherd's Pie.  (I have to re-create leftovers because Barb Wire man refuses to eat them.  He just doesn't know he is eating them!)

I do cut coupons, and rarely buy name-brand anything.  There are something things that are better as name brand, but for the most part, they are all the same!

I am hoping to one day have 52 weeks worth of menus and shopping lists compiled.  Then, I can just grabbed  lists, rather than having to sit down each time!  That will be a time saver!  Hmmm, maybe I should turn it into a book!?

I hope all this makes sense, as I am simply not feeling well today.  How do you save money at the store?  What is your approach to grocery shopping?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every single comment I get, and make every effort to respond to each one...as well as return the favor! I do allow anonymous comments. But, if you use anonymity to hide behind cowardly attacks on my faith or anything else, it will be deleted. Also, if your comment is lewd, vulgar, and full of potty mouth words, I will delete it. Thank you!